Unzoomed #33 6/6 🔴🔴🟡🔴🟡🔴 (2024-02-20)

  SPOILER ALTERT: I will solve today's Unzoomed.com here!





First round: 

  • Paved roads but also dirt roads
  • quite many red/brown colors on the ground, not a lot of vegetation (there are some trees).
  • short shadows, so close to the equator again (or a bit north of)?
  • general impression hints towards Africa, southern Asia, maybe Central America?
  • A few buildings stand out, a square one with a dome south of the marker (B1) on a hill (?), there is a football/soccer ground (dirt/sand ground) to the southeast, and a larger building northeast.
City close to the equator, I am guessing in Africa due to the quality and general look-and-feel of the image. I'll go with Lagos, Nigeria, that I almost selected yesterday and seems to be a good choice in the center of the continent.


Round 1: Lagos is 1,800 km away 🔴

Ok, good, that likely confirms Africa. I now see the coastline (I guess that is the ocean, there is a bigger harbor in the north-east and the visible ships feel to large for any inland sea. From the peninsula in the northwest I seem to see smoke (L1)?

As the sea is to the north, it could be a city on the Mediterranean coast. I have no better clue, I try Tripoli, Libya.


Round 2: Tripoli is 3,800 km away 🔴🔴

Ok, further away than before. Ocean seems to be to the west (not north), so probably the Atlantic Ocean? We are somewhere in western Africa (seems reasonable, 1800 km west of Lagos, and the whole Sahara desert away from Tripoli). The city is on a peninsula, but that does not help me. For Dakar, Senegal I see too much green now (I would expect more desert there), Gambia is not in the list of suggested countries. 

So, western Africa. Lacking any better clue, I will go with the country of Liberia. Input box helps me out and suggests Morovia, Liberia.


Round 3: Monrovia is 360 km away 🔴🔴🟡

Getting closer. Western Africa thus confirmed, I can see a border to the north now. Does not really help me, though. I resort to random guessing. Which other countries do I know there? Togo, Ivory Coast, Ghana, ... I'll go with Togo, and select Lome.


Round 4: Lomé is 1,600 km away 🔴🔴🟡🔴

Worse than before. At least I see more borders now. I recognize Senegal and Gambia in the northeast, then two more countries I don't recognize by name, then the one we are looking for, and Libera to the southeast. So which countries are there? Isn't there a second Guinea somewhere in this general area? Equatorial Guinea, I know, is south of Nigeria, but there was a second one somewhere here? That's my only clue, so the input box helps again and I select Conakry, Guinea


Round 5: Conakry is 130 km away 🔴🔴🟡🔴🟡

That is close, confirms there is a Guinea around, but does not help me with the country I am looking for. I am desparate. Trying to remember African countries. I find none that make sense. I give up, and select Lusaka, Zambia, in the faint hope that Zambia is here. 


Round 6: Lusaka is 5,300 km away 🔴🔴🟡🔴🟡🔴

I have lost. The right answer would have been Freetown, Sierra Leone. Yes, I have head of the country, but I would have never guessed that.



What about my guesses:

My general guess of Africa was good from the start. I should not have selected somewhere in the center of the continent for the first, as this left all directions open. But anyway, not even knowing the name of the country is a catastrophe for guessing.

B1 actually is the parliament of Sierra Leone.

L1 seems to be a landfill. The smoke I saw could be a landfill fire, could also just be dirt blown into the air by the wind?

Kommentare

Beliebte Posts aus diesem Blog

Microsoft Word: Neuen Querverweis-Typ anlegen

OpenStreetMap vor Datenspende?

Klassentreffen Volksschule Doppl