Unzoomed #32 4/6 🔴🟡🟡🟢⚪️⚪ (2024-02-19)

 SPOILER ALTERT: I will solve today's Unzoomed.com here!



First round: 

  • River (due to bridge), park, no really outstanding buildings.
  • General theme does not look European: super irregular building patterns, white roofs, brownish ground.
  • A market (?) northeast of the indicator
  • Very short shadows, so close to equator
  • South-east of the indicator there is a larger white building with a dome - I am guessing this is a mosque? (B1)
City close to the equator, in a country with strong Muslim population. Lacking any better option, I am going with Nairobi, Kenia (I wanted to take Lagos, Nigeria, but as a Nigerian city recently was the answer, decided to take some other option).


Round 1: Nairobi is 4,700 km away 🔴

Not great, not bad either. From the distance, I was guessing India immediately (if we stayed on the equator, might also have been the other direction to western Africa though). 

In the further unzoomed image there is a round lake in the southeast, with a building (B2) in an island in the middle. Going with India, this reminded me of ... uhm .... there is this golden temple somewhere? City starting with V, if I recall correctly (no, I don't, I meant the Golden Temple of Amritsar, but anyway). The option box suggests Vadodara, India. So I chose that.


Round 2: Vadodara is 100 km away 🔴🟡

Oh, that's close, but not super helpful. I have no clue where in India Vadodara is, and what could be my next guess. Not really educated about Indian cities, I know the bigger ones suggested but most I don't know (I need to fix that).

I'll go with Delhi next.


Round 3: Delhi is 780 km away 🔴🟡🟡

Ah crap. No new information. I see the coast now, but still have no clue where exactly I am (somewhere in the west of India, probably) and no clue what it could be.

I'll go with Ahmedabad.


Round 4: you found Ahmedabad 🔴🟡🟡🟢

Puh. Pure luck. It could have been much worse, failing to know most of the suggested cities I could have had to guess way more than that.

Ahmedabad has 5.5 Million inhabitants. And I believe I have never heard of it. That's a shame, India and China and their major cities are an area where I need to improve my knowledge.



What about my guesses:

Instead of Vadodara, I of course meant Varanasi. Which does not host the golden temple, but is a spiritually important city on the Ghanges.

And selecting "Delhi" in the third round: I should have gone with "New Delhi", which I meant. I learned that those are two different cities (which the "new" already indicates).

The Building with the dome (B1) is in fact a mosque, Hajrat Shah Ali Dargah.

Building B2 in the lake is Nagina Wadi in the Kankaria Lake. Popular tourist attraction nowadays.

Conclusion: good guessing to find the correct country in the second round, from there it was pure chance if I could ever find the correct city. I only could rule out the very few I knew (that are more directly on the coast).

Kommentare

Beliebte Posts aus diesem Blog

Microsoft Word: Neuen Querverweis-Typ anlegen

OpenStreetMap vor Datenspende?

Klassentreffen Volksschule Doppl